How to Keep Your Pets Safe During the Holidays!
8 December, 2017
The holiday season is almost here and many of us love to include our furry family members in the festivities. As we get ready for the holidays, it is important to try to keep your dog and cat’s eating and exercise as close to their normal routine as possible. Make sure to keep your pets away from unhealthy desserts, toxic plants and dangerous decorations.
Be careful with the Christmas trees and decorations:
Christmas Trees: Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Pine needles can be ingested and puncture intestines, and pine is highly toxic to cats, potentially causing liver damage and death. Additionally, the water that cut trees are placed into is toxic. It usually contains pine resin, preservatives and fire retardants.
Avoid Mistletoe & Holly: Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.
Tinsel: Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching “toy” that’s easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.
Wires and ornaments: Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver electrical shocks and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus. Broken ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.
Holiday meals and treats
Avoid desserts: We all know chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol is dangerous for out pet, but our pets don’t know this! Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans.
Careful with Cocktails: If your celebration includes adult holiday beverages, be sure to place your unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
New Year’s and home parties!
When you have holiday guests over, some dogs and cats love it, while others get very anxious:
A Room or Place for Your Pets: Give your dogs and cats their own quiet space to retreat to—complete with fresh water and a place to snuggle. Shy pups and cats might want to hide out under a piece of furniture, in their carrying case or in a separate room away from all the activity.
New Year’s Festivities: As you count down to the new year, please keep in mind that strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines, if ingested, perhaps necessitating surgery. Noisy poppers can terrify pets and cause possible damage to sensitive ears. And remember so many dogs and cats are scared of fireworks, so be sure to secure them in a safe, escape-proof area as midnight approaches.
The holidays are a fun, festive time. Just be mindful of your pets so you can enjoy them together.
Other related articles: